Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
Bookkeeper Position 2013
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
Type of position: Full-time Permanent Salaried Position
Salary: Starting at $2300/m, starting salary is commensurate with experience. Salary review at 6 and 12 months. 4 weeks paid vacation per year.
An incredible life-style opportunity
Ranked by consumers on TripAdvisor as second to only one other hotel in Jasper National Park, Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge is an award-winning mountain lodge located in the inspiring heart of Jasper National Park 53km south of downtown Jasper. Our location provides a unique business model involving both a hotel and a bustling day-time business for our restaurant and gift shop.
Sunwapta Falls is a seasonal operation open from May to October. While our sales season is short, our business demands a key management crew to work year-round to strategize and keep the Lodge in exceptional standing with consumers, clients and business partners. The Bookkeeper position plays an integral role in the management team’s success in a highly competitive market. This position is year round, full-time, salaried.
While the Lodge is open, the bookkeeper will work from the Lodge. This is a premier wilderness location, on the world famous Icefield’s Parkway (Hwy 93). The Lodge is surrounded by mountains, forests, lakes, and within ear shot of the incredible Sunwapta Falls. Please visit our location page and take a look at the Google Street View to get an idea.
While open, the position demands are high and the bookkeeper will either live on property or commute from Jasper daily (a 45 minute drive). Time management is essential. When we close for the winter, the Bookkeeper works from an office in the town of Jasper. The majority of these hours are worked alone, with Skype and phone contact with other managers. Winter provides some time off for travel and a much more liberal schedule. With no revenues in winter, the bookkeeping focus shifts to report preparation for year end, and assistance with special projects and HR. There is opportunity for growth in this position.
We’re looking for specific skills, but more importantly, we’re looking for the right person. You must take some time to research us to make sure it is the kind of business you want to work for.
There’s much more to learn, so spend some time now to get acquainted! To get started, we highly encourage you to visit TripAdvisor, YouTube, Facebook, our website, and the jobs part of our website. If you use Instagram, be sure to look us up: SunwaptaFalls.
Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge is a small business and much like a family. We are looking for someone who can communicate in a light hearted, direct, and business minded way. We need an outgoing, upfront, fun loving person who takes pride in the work they do, and takes accuracy and consistency to inspiring levels.
You are responsible, determined, self-directed and unafraid to ask for assistance. You understand the true meaning of team work and are prepared always to support and receive support from the people you work with. You have a good understanding of business principles and a desire to learn about the business of hospitality, the business of tourism, the business of hotels.
The Bookkeeper reports on a daily basis and maintains direct communication with the Resident & Restaurant Manager, Director of Sales & Marketing, and has frequent communication with the President and General Manager. The position is responsible for assuring accuracy of daily audit reports, assisting with data entry, and bookkeeping practices including accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll, maintaining staff records including incident reports and time cards, attending management meetings and taking minutes, ensuring all managers reports are updated and distributed in a timely fashion, as well as assuring accurate cash reconciliation reports, preparing floats, change volumes and preparing cash deposits.
This position requires a great deal of responsibility, maturity and discretion. This individual must be well organized, detail oriented, and able to work alone or as part of a team. You will be required to conduct yourself at all times in accordance with the mission statement: to strive to provide everyone around you with the best experience possible.
- Ensure Night Audit follows all procedures to maintain effective and efficient reports for the management team at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge.
- Review and correct night audit reports as directed or as necessary. Problem solving required.
- Semi monthly payroll. Remittance of necessary payroll documents and payments to government.
- Responsible for posting Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable entries and followup.
- Responsible for all tax remittance forms, ensuring payment is timely and accurate.
- Responsible for counting all daily bank deposits and make sure it is consistent with the Daily Sales Report.
- Responsible to count the main float on a daily basis ensuring there are no discrepancies or shortages. Make change for cashiers and log the transfer of any monies.
- Assist staff with cash-out process as necessary.
- Responsible for logging and organizing all incoming mail.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and order as directed department heads and cleared by senior manager.
- Responsible for the duplication and distribution of documents amongst the department heads and managers.
- Attend management meetings, take minutes and distribute information accordingly.
- Responsible for regular communication with the Resort Manager, DOS, and GM, reporting tasks completed and any discrepancies encountered.
- Responsible for alerting department heads and senior management to discrepancies, irregularities, or foreseeable problems.
- Maintain accurate up to date files and records on all staff members.
- Knowledgeable with Quick Books an asset but not necessary.
- Familiarity with Payroll processes an asset.
- Familiarity with Tax Remittance forms an asset.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook are necessary.
- Familiarity with principles of Night Audit tasks and duties.
- Familiarity with the Front Desk operations and modern hotel booking channels an asset.
- Familiarity with Restaurant operations an asset.
- Familiarity with Retail operations an asset.
- Computer literacy and aptitude to learn and adapt to new programs and computer based systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Exceptional English communication: both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and must possess problem solving abilities.
- Ability to sit long periods of time.
- Ability to work alone, unsupervised.
- Strong time management skills.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume, 3 references and a convenient time to contact you to Matthew Corlett at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Should Apply?
We are happy to receive resumes from experienced bookkeepers, new graduates, or people who’ve worked in the hotel business and have some experience with reporting and reconciliation. In other words, if you’ve read the above and feel comfortable with it, please send your resume to Matt!